5 Minutes with an Aspiring Fashion Photographer



Ladies and gents, meet Ali Foroughi, the twenty-something fashion and music photographer and advocate of hidden talent in Loughborough. His magazine has become the holy grail for aspiring creatives in the East Midlands. His creativity and determination has won praise by many (and gave him the opportunity to cover LFW), apart from his personal tutor who is trying to keep him in the lab for his engineering degree.

So how is it that someone who originally set out to conquer the world of mechanical engineering decided to follow his passion and run his own photography business? I managed to get five minutes with the rising star (after 2 attempts!) and got to ask some questions...

What inspired you to become a photographer?

I’ve always been very arty. My mum is a painter, so it’s always been in the family. You can’t really follow art because you won’t be making any money. But I’ve always been interested in graphic design. A few years back, when I was editing photos, I thought why shouldn’t I be just creating these photos myself instead of looking online which takes hours and sometimes you have to pay for stock images. So I bought a camera. And I’ve always had some kind of interest and when people asked for photos I always tried to be creative. So I bought a camera and instantly fell in love with it. Just the whole idea of it. And as I did more and more it became better and better. And then I chose to do fashion because I enjoyed that more and more when I did it. Because you create something out of nothing. You have to put all of it together.

A shot from the black and white photo shoot for issue 2 of Jungle Magazine
What is your most memorable photo shoot?

I would say, the best one was the cover shoot for the second issue of Jungle Magazine – the black and white one because there was a lot of organisation going in to it. It was something I’ve been meaning to do for a very long time and when it happened I was very pleased of the result. That’s my favourite one so far. It could have been better. The next issue will be a lot better. You learn as you go along.

Have you faced any challenges when you first started?

There have always been challenges. There is nothing easy. Even though it seems, like a lot of people say, you just take pictures of pretty girls but that is not what I do. There are a lot of thought processes to create the photos, like coming up with a concept and booking the models, the makeup artists, the location and you get cancellations. There are a lot of organisational skills that go in to it. So that’s one bit of it that I have to take care of myself. And then with the magazine it’s a team that you’ve got to organise. Give people some work and a lot of stuff is dependent on everyone else rather than you. So it’s not just you willing to put all the work, you’ve got to motivate others to get to their deadlines. And all of it is a challenge. Another bit of it is the funding – it is really difficult. It’s a very enjoyable job and you learn a lot basically.

Ali's work published in Vogue Italy (PhotoVogue)
You also run a magazine, as mentioned earlier. What’s the idea behind it?

The magazine started with the fact that I felt that there are too many talented people in Loughborough and their work is not being demonstrated to anyone. I wanted to get my work out there, so one of the ways was me submitting to different magazines but I thought that there isn’t such thing in Loughborough that is giving such exposure to these people. And the idea behind the name Jungle is that it is a jungle out there if you are a creative to be able to actually succeed in what you are doing.  So this is a platform to help people and myself to get to the next stage. But at the same time it was challenge because I’ve never actually had managerial experience. It was a challenge for me to teach myself how to be a leader and how to organise people and how to handle different business situations. 

And what do you think the response has been so far?

It’s been crazy. It’s actually a lot better than I expected. With the first issue we covered the map - we had views from pretty much every country which was incredible. The second issue just came out recently and on the first days we had 2500 views, which rose to 12000 over the following few days. This is pretty amazing. I wasn’t expecting that. It is good. A lot of people have responded to it very well. A lot of it is thanks to networking. My friend always tells me your network is your net worth.

A photo taken by Ali for the blogger Cosmin Cernica at fashion scout "the ones to watch" show
And finally what advice would you give to other young aspiring creatives?

I would say don’t be scared to follow your dreams. To work hard and take all the practical steps to achieving your dream. At the same time, if you do that, it means that every morning you wake up and you go to a job or a career that you love to do, rather than a normal everyday job. And also just network, network, network! That’s all that matters.

Jungle Magazine Issue 2 is out now and you can read you digital copy at jungle-magazine.co.uk.