7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism


Greetings from Russia! Apologies for going all quite for the past couple of weeks. Lately I have been so busy with work that, unfortunately, I haven't had the time to write some interesting posts for you.

As I am settling in a new country (I'll be here for the next two months), I realised that all the travelling and changes haven't been so good for my diet. So, as a friend suggested, I decided to give my digestive system a boost by revving up my metabolism (as well as eating as healthy as possible and exercising). 

Here are some tips on how you can supercharge your metabolism too:
  1. Start your day with a cup of hot water and lemon. The citrus fruit is high in ascorbic acid which stimulates digestion.
  2. Eat more chillies - they warm up your body and speed up metabolic rate.
  3. Sip some green tea. The polyphenols and caffeine will boost the digestion process.
  4. Take your body to new weights. Resistance training (i.e. weight lifting) helps build more muscles and muscles burn more calories than fat (this is technically true, but scientific studies suggest that it is actually your heart, kidneys and brain that burn the most!)
  5. And make your heart pump. High-intensity interval training  delivers a bigger, longer increase in resting metabolic rate than low- or moderate-intensity workouts. 
  6. Then drink plenty of water. When your body is dehydrated, your metabolism slows down. Go for cold water if you want to burn a few extra calories.
  7. Finally, power up with protein. The body burns many more calories digesting protein than it does for fat or carbohydrates.
Your visual go-to guide for boosting metabolism

Signing off from my magical forest hotel 60km from Moscow...