Morning Boost


I've always loved a good breakfast, but after I started making regular trips to the gym 10 days ago, I realised how important morning nutrition is (and how it can stop the pre-lunch-time hunger pangs).

But I also know that many people can't face eating in the morning. So I thought - isn't there a way to give your body the fuel it needs without causing a racket in the kitchen every morning? Turns out there is.



As I have a sensitive stomach, I always start my day with a spoonful of Manuka Honey (factor 10 or more). This type of honey has many health benefits, including protection from damage caused by bacteria, reduction of cholesterol levels, control of diabetes, prevention of cancer and treatment of gastrointestinal problems thanks to its antibiotic and antibacterial properties. Hence, having Manuka honey on an empty stomach helps heal ulcers, eradicate harmful bacteria and boost digestion.

30 minutes later I take my vitamins - D3 and all the Bs to be more precise.We all know vitamins are good, but these two are crucial for me. Vitamin D is vital for healthy bones, teeth and immune system (which, by the way, can be put under stress by things like exercise and hectic work schedules). Also, from personal experience, I can tell you that insufficient vitamin D can cause muscle ache and shortness of breath, which, of course, are detrimental to any attempts to get fit and exercise.


This thing actually has some extra vitamins and minerals, which is why it's great as a pre-workout booster!
On the other hand, vitamins B keep your moods in check, help your brain stay in top shape, ease stress and reduce the risk of heart disease. In terms of nutrition, the B vitamins help release energy by breaking down carbs into glucose (hence, better performance during training), and they also help breakdown fats & proteins and tone muscles.

Finally, I have five almonds which have been soaked in water overnight. This trick I learnt from an old friend who posted it on Facebook. What's the point, I hear you ask? Well, soaking almonds overnight removes an enzyme from the skin of the almond which inhibits digestion, therefore making the nuts (and their nutrients, including the enzyme lipase which breaks down fat) more easily digestible. Interestingly, it has been scientifically proven that having four to six soaked almonds a day boosts the functionality of the central nervous system and serves as a brain tonic.


Photo by Chill Mimi
Once I have ensured this triple boost has been digested and absorbed (and I have reached the gym or the office), I proceed with either a pre-workout protein shake + banana or oat porridge with cinnamon + banana. Both of these contain slow-release nutrients which tend to keep me happy for a good while (plus some fruits as snacks in between meals). 

Well, in the end it seems you can't skip breakfast if you want to feel energetic and avoid binging at lunch and dinner.