Fashion and Dance

Fashion and dance. Dance and fashion. Whichever way you put them, you can't deny it's quite a mix. And it's really exciting for me to see a fusion of movement and clothes as these two have been my major hobbies for the past few years. Unfortunately I'm neither a fashionista, designer or model nor a professional dancer. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy these arts, right? I want to show you something I read in an e-newsletter several weeks ago:


This is 'Move', directed by Dominique Palombo for Rachel Roy's Spring 2011 Collection. The first words that sprang to my mind when I watched it were: 'What on earth is this? I like it, it's cool!'. Ok, I'll be honest with you - the second part (I like it, it's cool) came a bit later. It took me some time to digest the idea. But now I see the originality and creativity behind this: isn't it similar to contemporary art - quirky, abstract and difficult (if not impossible) to understand? It is indeed artistic, unusual and quite innovative. 
I also like the combination of dance styles. From ballet, contemporary and jazz to street, popping and hip hop - this film puts the latest dance blockbusters to shame. I'm really surprised at how well the different styles mixed and the flow from one to another all at a perfect rhythm. 

On the other hand, this video is also meant to be a promotional tool. It's an interesting idea, but will it work in the world of business? In my last few lectures the class was continuously told how marketing is becoming more people-oriented. So what do we, consumers, have to say? I posted the video to my hip hop group's Facebook page and asked for their opinion. According to them the film has great appeal to dancers and people who enjoy to party (and dance), however what about those who don't appreciate this vibrant art? 

It will take some time to measure the success of fashion dance films, but to me this video creates an aura of cool for the Rachel Roy brand. It sort of says: 'You don't have to be a preppy, uber-sophisticated dame (or monsieur) to wear our clothes'. Sigh, I can't afford this yet...

On a different note, here's the Australian equivalent of the ever more popular fashion dance films:


A Dance For One. from LOVER® on Vimeo.

Entitled 'A dance for one', this film (which you can watch here) was directed by Alice Wesley Smith and Kasia Werstak for Australian label Lover and follows the story of Senior Artist Amber Scott of the Australian Ballet Company. Although not as exciting as 'Move', this film is a proof of a growing trend in the fashion industry to use the creative fusion of dance and fashion as a showcase tool.