DIY dress

Once upon a time I decided to make my own dress. That was more than 2 years ago, when me and a couple of friends decided to make our own clothes. Off we went to Dubai's and Sharjah's famous souks in search of materials. After looking at countless textiles of various colours and prints I fell in love with this:







Armed with all I needed I went home and started measuring myself, the fabric and drawing cutting lines. With scissors in hand I bravely cut out a rough outline of the dress (seriously what was I thinking?). Then came the difficult bit - stitching the dress together. First of all, although the fabric is of the non-creasing, perfectly falling types, it was also elastic and 100% synthetic. How do you stitch that without a sawing machine? Well, in the end I took a few shots at it and stuffed the half done dress in a bag in my closet.

Fast forward to summer 2012, when my grandmother made the interesting discovery of the unfinished dress. She fell in love with the fabric too and took it back to Bulgaria with her. There we went to the tailor who, after grimacing at the type of textile she had to deal with (apparently it was hard to stitch even with a sawing machine), put the whole thing together. She added the side slits and fitted it at the waist and voila! This is the finished product:








It definitely turned out very beautiful and unique. I've received plenty of compliments and enquiries about it. Although I don't plan on becoming a designer myself, it is good to see something nice came out of it! 


P.S.
Feel free to share your DIY stories in the comment box below :)